- The use, by Americans, of "Cheers" at the end of emails annoys me a little bit, but is frequent, so it made the list. I know one guy who is British, so he gets a pass on this one. Everyone else, clean up your act.
- The use of "Fail" in the place of "Failure" drives me absolutely insane. Seriously, how did this abomination become so common so fast? I'm not a grammar Nazi. My spelling is atrocious (thank you spell check and Google when spell check doesn't understand me). I split infinitives, end sentences with prepositions, am completely confused about whether to use "who" or "whom" in any given situation, make nonparallel lists and write run-on sentences like it's going out of style. But, I do not commit this transgression and will not suffer fools who do.
- The overuse of the adjective "Epic", especially preceding the misuse of "Fail" troubles me as well. Please tell me why young people today want to describe everything as "Epic"? I have nothing against the moderate use of the term. It can be very appropriate in certain circumstances, but folks please start mixing it up a little bit.
- People who converted from Johnny Cash haters to fans after he died have a certain place in my heart next to my schoolmates who started liking Star Wars when the digitally remastered versions came out.
- Last but certainly not least, that type of magical, Utopian, primordial thinking that can best be described as Statism annoys me to no end. What is it that frightens us so as a society? Violence, of course! So what is the solution? We systematize the use of violence and give the power over those institutions that wield it to the people who seek it most vigorously and reserve to them the responsibility of deciding its appropriate use.
Things That Annoy Me
You would think by the long list of things that annoy me that I am a crusty old curmudgeon. Maybe so, I did turn 28 this week. Here is a short list of things that have been annoying me more and more lately: